Giving to Finance Supports Students
- Donations support scholarships for certification exams (CFA, SIE, etc.)
- Gifts from alumni and friends support students' travel for networking and conferences
- Alumni giving helps keep technological resources like Bloomberg and FactSet online
- Donations support merit-based and need-based scholarships
- Alumni gifts may also support educational resources such as workshops or seminars
By making a gift to this Moving Finance Students Forward campaign, know that you're advancing great programs and opportunities that will be used to provide experiential learning to better prepare students for the financial industry. Thank you!
Every act of generosity counts. Give back today to the place that gave you so much. Choose the area and designation that moves you most. (More information at bottom.)
Areas of Focus
Department of Finance
OHIO's faculty and staff work to ensure its finance major provides a solid background in the areas of accounting, economics, corporate finance, investments, and financial institutions. The Department of Finance also oversees a finance minor, banking & financial services, and financial programming certificates, plus graduate-level programs — all helpful in giving students varied skills and viewpoints they'll use throughout their careers. Furthermore, the department's Finance Advisory Council uses its broad network to open doors for students to learn through internships and secure permanent positions in a variety of finance fields. → To help strengthen the Department of Finance and help them to do more work on behalf of students, designate your gift to the Department of Finance Enhancement Fund.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Efforts
The field of finance, compared to other disciplines, has historically been less diverse — in schools and in the workforce. Working against this stigma, beginning in the 2016-17 academic year, department leadership starting promoting DEI efforts to provide more comfort and familiarity within the program, inviting more students to feel welcomed and involved, thus helping them find their place. One example of success found in this approach is the starting of the Association of Women in Finance group. This group now provides leadership opportunities for students who are interested in advancing the cause (of getting more women interested in the field of finance). Building on this, faculty have noted a spillover effect in that there is now also increased interest by women in the SEMG and SFIMG groups — and also more interest in women taking leadership roles in SEMG and SFIMG. The department also created the Finance Advisory Council Opportunity Scholarship which has already awarded $6,000 in scholarships to students from underrepresented backgrounds. → To support DEI efforts within Finance, designate your gift to the Department of Finance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Support Fund.
Derivatives Management Group
The Ohio University Derivatives Management Group manages a synthetic portfolio consisting options, futures, and swaps. These students use many unique strategies in order to fully capitalize on the expected movement of the underlying asset. Gifts will support scholarships, travel, and other initiatives for Derivatives Management Group students. → To support Derivatives, designate your gift to the Derivatives Management Group fund.
Student Equity Management Group (SEMG)
OHIO's Student Equity Management Group now manages more than $8.6 million in Ohio University funds. The student-run group selects investments for their long only equity portfolio. SEMG is beating its index, the S&P 500, by more than 2% on an annualized basis. Gifts will support scholarships, travel, and other initiatives for SEMG students. → To support SEMG, designate your gift to the Student Equity Management Group (SEMG) Professional Development Fund.
Student Fixed Income Management Group (SFIMG)
The Ohio University Student Fixed Income Management Group also manages more than $3.2 million in Ohio University funds. These funds are invested in fixed-income securities based on group members' research. SFIMG is about even with its index, the Bloomberg US Aggregate. Gifts will support scholarships, travel, and other initiatives for SFIMG students. → To support SFIMG, designate your gift to the Student Fixed Income Management Group (SFIMG) Professional Development Fund.
The Association of Women in Finance
The Association of Women in Finance supports and encourages women who are interested in working in and/or learning about finance. New members are paired with an experienced mentor who has a background in finance, similar interests, and real world experience. This group won the College of Business's [Student] Organization of the Year Award in 2020 — in only their second year in existence! → The Association of Women in Finance doesn't yet have its own fund. Please designate your gift to the Department of Finance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Support Fund to show your support for this group.
Financial Management Association
Members of the Financial Management Association develop professional and social skills outside the walls of the classroom. The benefits of membership include exposure to the financial industry, networking opportunities, and affiliation with an international chapter. → The Financial Management Association doesn't yet have its own fund. Please designate your gift to the Department of Finance Enhancement Fund.
Additional Giving Information
Other Ways to Support OHIO's Department of Finance and Move Students Forward
- Mail a check (payable to The Ohio University Foundation) to The Ohio University Foundation, PO Box 869, Athens, OH 45701; be sure to write Department of Finance on the memo line and include a note along with your check of which fund you want to support. If you prefer to use a reply card and a postage-paid reply envelope, send a message to Annual Giving's Jessie Holtz '06.
- To give to a Department of Finance fund that is not listed above, visit give.ohio.edu/funds and use the "Search Funds" option below the Explore Funds headline to find your fund. If it's better for you to see fund names, go to the Give to Ohio University donation form and select "College of Business" in the first dropdown box. Then, scroll through the funds that appear in the second dropdown box. (All funds appearing here are connected to the COB, though not specific to the Department of Finance.)
- Talk with Jessie Holtz about a transformational gift to support these students.
- Want to make your gift over the phone? Send an email to Jessie Holtz to set up a quick appointment.
- If you want to explore making a charitable gift to this campaign with a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA), giving via a Donor Advised Fund or stock transfer, please also reach out to Jessie Holtz.
For questions about the Department of Finance, contact department chair Travis Davidson, Ph.D. For all giving related questions, contact Jessie Holtz.